Celebrating the Class of 2020

June 5th, marked the final day of classes for our Grade 12 students! Had we been in school, we would have celebrated them as they finished their last classes, cleaned out their lockers and walked the hallways for one last time as seniors.

But, despite the way the year has ended, the HNMCS Class of 2020 have improvised, remained positive and have shown the world just how resilient they are! With 100% acceptance into universities in Canada, the United States and the UK, plus scholarship offers of over $1.1m, the HNMCS Class of 2020 is truly outstanding.

The wide variety of accomplishments and interests of the members of the Class of 2020 is reflected in their choice of university destinations, with 30% pursuing degrees in the arts & humanities and the other 70% pursuing STEM related studies in business (Ivey, Rotman,Schulich), cognitive sciences, engineering and the medical sciences, among others.

Among this stellar group of girls, we have a Schulich Award Winner, Mallory Bond, who has accepted an offer to become a Schulich Leader at the University of Toronto, a first in the school’s young history. Also Hanna Henderson, who represented Canada at the 2019 World Junior Swimming Championships, has accepted a 4 year athletic scholarship in competitive swimming at the University of Southern California. She will be attending their highly regarded business programme at The Marshall School of Business.

To celebrate this special group of graduates, our Head of School, Carrie Hughes-Grant and Director of Student Life, Kathryn Anderson, delivered boxes filled with items that highlight each student’s time at HNMCS to each of their homes.

On June 10th the HNMCS Community gathered for mass presided over by Fr. Leung, CSB. It was a fitting way to start the graduation ceremonies, thanking God for the blessings each student has received and for the many ways in which they have blessed the HNMCS community. And on June 11th we gathered via Google Meet to celebrate the many accomplishments of the Class of 2020.

We have a formal ceremony planned for the fall of 2020, when we hope we are able to celebrate these resilient young women and their accomplishments, in person.